Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Manager, Payroll Compliance (Remote)
Job Status: Full Time
Categories: Accounting/Auditing, Human Resources - Comp & Benefits, Human Resources - ALL CATEGORIES
Manager, Payroll Compliance - Headquartered in Toronto, CA - position is Remote / Work From Home
Wave propels brave entrepreneurs who pursue their dreams and drive the world’s economy. As an award-winning product and company, and one of the fastest growing financial services software, we have more than 3.5 million business owners from 200+ countries around the world. Every year, we track over $240 billion in income and expenses and more than $20 billion in invoices.
About the Team:
This is an opportunity to be a leader on our Payroll Experiences team in the critical functions of compliance researcher and auditor for our offering in the United States and Canada. You will be a member of our Product & Design organization.
About the Role:
As a researcher, you will partner with our product management and revenue growth leads to scrutinize opportunities for making the lives of business owners easier. Your unique perspective on opportunity, complexity, and speed to market will guide feature prioritization, monetization strategy, and operational efficiency. Your in-depth knowledge of industry and interpretation of tax laws will set requirements and software specifications. As an auditor, you will maintain a comprehensive matrix of compliance health of all software functions. You will partner with members on our operations team to ensure compliance of our automated and manual services as well. You’ll work with our engineers to interrogate system assumptions, whether internal, or external with systems like MasterTax and Symmetry. Furthermore, you will aid in the analysis of systemic failures reported by business owners or the operations team that pertains to the software (not our services) to ascertain their root cause, and recommended adjustments towards compliance. As a manager, you will hire and train team members to enable high quality payroll compliance for the company. You’ll set the strategy for the team, build its compliance processes, and delegate projects or tasks based on complexity and skill. You’ll also help develop our compliance leaders of tomorrow to ensure this discipline is a core strength at Wave.
Here's how you will make an impact:
- Accuracy and applicability of all payroll and employment compliance research in the efforts of assessing opportunity and defining software specifications
- Auditing our software, before and after production launches, to ensure it is meeting our compliance obligations in all applicable jurisdictions, be it manually or in an automated fashion
- Running a highly effective, balanced, and collaborative software compliance team
- Maintaining a comprehensive compliance matrix of software function and services by jurisdiction
- Interpreting payroll, and where appropriate, employment laws and documenting requirements for tax compliant software targeting small businesses
- Liaising with legal counsel on compliance topics that are specialized or beyond the expertise of our internal team
- Monitoring regulatory changes in payroll, and where appropriate, employment laws to enable proactive response with software and service processes (in full cooperation with our operations teams)
- Documenting research findings to initiate and implement changes to the payroll product
- Collaborating with compliance analysts, engineers, designers, and PMs to build delightful user experience
- Data analysis to confidently recommend expansion of tax services into additional states
- Identify and coordinate testing and implementation of electronic filing of payroll wage and tax data to meet specific jurisdiction specifications
- Provide guidance to marketing, risk, operations, and support staff for new and changing system calculations and other appropriate matters relating to compliance
You'll thrive here if you have:
- Experience with analysis of customer challenges with empathy to make the best call on what features or services needs to be built, and in what order, on the product roadmap
- Experience providing product guidance to support and communications staff, and suggest appropriate course of action for complex customer problems
- The ability to evaluate tax implications and providing technical guidance on compliance matters for other software teams touching payroll, sales, or income tax matters across Wave
- Sprint prioritization with respect to system updates necessary to meet compliance adjustment timelines
- Expertise with writers of marketing content to better serve our customers with the vast amounts of internal compliance knowledge we possess.
We hire world-class talent, but the learning doesn’t stop once you’re in the door. We believe in the balance of IQ with EQ. We support continuous professional and personal development with flexible mentorship programs, ongoing learning opportunities and a serious investment in each employee. We’re here to do excellent work, together, and achieve that by bringing on only the best.
We are a community of people with competitive hearts. Competitive in wanting to better the lives of our Brave Entrepreneurs. Competitive in never settling for less than extraordinary. Competitive in pushing each other and our ideas, by collaborating and communicating respectfully.
Monthly town hall meetings are where we regularly share business metrics and updates from the CEO. When you have the data you need, you are empowered to pivot your plans to solve problems, remove bottlenecks and find a way to win.
Our culture is reflected with a stellar Glassdoor rating (including a 99% approval rating of our CEO) as well as numerous awards. We’re recognized as one of Canada's Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures, an Employee Recommended Workplace, and Great Place to Work Certified recognised specifically in the Technology, Millennial, Inclusion and Women categories.
We work in a beautiful, renovated historical office that feels like home—with bright open spaces, cozy couches, an awesome games room, a zen space for daily yoga and fitness bootcamps, and even a designated “quiet work zone”. Our dog-friendly environment has the best view of Toronto from our rooftop patio, and our wifi enabled space helps us stay connected and committed to a single vision.
A fantastic location: 10 minutes from downtown Toronto in the vibrant Leslieville neighbourhood, where there’s no shortage of good food, drinks, arts and entertainment (check out our walk and transit score!).
RECRUITERS PLEASE NOTE:
We are not accepting applications via recruiters at this time