University of Massachusetts Medical School
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Associate I
at University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Requisition Number
- # of Openings
- Posted Date
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of complex research experiments.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly-motivated and proactive individual to join our group as a mammalian cell culture specialist with the ability to perform molecular biology and biochemistry experiments. The position’s responsibilities will include designing and performing experiments, processing, interpreting and reporting data.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Growing and maintaining cell lines and primary cells
- Transfecting/ transducing cell lines and downstream characterization experiments
- Lysing cells for protein analysis techniques
- General DNA and RNA manipulation technologies
- PCR, qPCR, restriction digests, site-directed mutagenesis, RNA and DNA isolation, vector construction knowledge/ expertise
- Gel electrophoresis, sequence analysis, nanodrop quantitation of nucleic acids
- Transient transfection and lentiviral transduction, siRNA and shRNA techniques
- General protein manipulation technologies
- Western blotting, Immunoprecipitation and ELISA
- Expertise in data analysis and presentation software: MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, MS Word, GraphPad Prism.
- Be able to perform data analysis, data quality control and data interpretation
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.