Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
Builds, rebuilds, repairs and inspects railway cars according to AAR, FRA, and company regulations. Uses hand tools, power tools, and other measuring equipment required in the performance of duties.
- Ensure compliance with all Railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Inspects car components for compliance with AAR, FRA, and company standards
- Performs maintenance activity, both scheduled and on demand, including air brake tests
- Repairs, removes or replaces defective components such as wheels, safety appliances, truck and brake equipment, couplers, yokes, draft gears, air brake valves; welds broken parts or secures new parts
- Prepares numerous written reports and forms including bad order forms, car repair billing forms, and dimensional loading forms
- Prepares record of car repairs for monthly billing process
- Performs re-railing or repair activities and emergency or other repairs within yard limits, on the road, and at industrial sites
- Repairs, removes, or replaces components with the use of jacks, blocks, cutting and heating torch, and other hand tools
- Inspects, measures, and secures lading in open top cars
- Operates fork lifts, light cranes, and car moving equipment
- Works outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and at elevated heights
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned
- Should be familiar with freight car repairs, welding, and FRA and AAR rules and regulations
- High School Diploma or GED
- Two (2) years of related work experience
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds
- Four (4) year journeyman Carman
- Welding certification
- CDL operator’s license
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word and Excel
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.